Best Bike Rack for SUV – Buyers Guide
Choosing the best bike rack for your vehicle can be a daunting task. There are many factors to consider when choosing a bike rack, such as weight capacity, ease of use, and price. In this blog post, we will help you make an informed decision by giving you all the information on how to choose the right bike rack for your needs.
In a hurry? Here are our top picks!
- KAC Overdrive Sports K2 2” Hitch Mounted Rack 2-Bike Platform
- Vibrelli 2 Bike Hitch Rack
- BV 2-Bike Bicycle Hitch Mount Rack Carrier
- KURAM 4 Bike Rack 2″ Hitch Mount carrier
KAC Overdrive Sports K2 2” Hitch Mounted Rack 2-Bike Platform
This 2 hitch-mounted rack by KAC offers a tilt feature to load your bikes easily and access them from the liftgate for those tough climbs. The carrier supports up to 2 bicycles that are as heavy as 60 lbs each, covers a tire width of a little over 5 inches.
This two-bike rack, perfect for anyone who enjoys going on long bike rides with their buddies. It can be easily folded up and isn’t an eyesore in your garage or on the back of your pickup truck. If you have fat tires or use electric bikes, this is a great choice!
The velcro wheel straps are a bit short for 4″ tires, and the button for the frame arm is a bit difficult to press.
- patented Anti-Wobble System
- Supports 2 bikes up to 60 lbs each
- adjustable to fit most e-bikes, fat tire, road, and mountain bikes
- Tilt feature for easy loading and lift gate access.
- velcro wheel straps are a bit short for 4″ tires
- The button for the frame arm is a bit difficult to press
Vibrelli 2 Bike Hitch Rack
The Vibrelli Bike Hitch Rack is the most versatile and easy-to-use bike rack on the market. The Vibrelli Bike Hitch Rack holds two bikes each weighing 65 lbs (130 lbs max load).
This hitch-mounted bike rack features a tilt down & fold-up design for easy access to the trunk or hatch of your vehicle. The Vibrelli Bike Hitch Rack also has a patented locking system that secures all three hooks of this bike rack, so you don’t have to worry about theft or damage to your vehicles while
It is compatible with fat tires, comes with built-in security features that lock the rack to your car and lock the bikes to the rack, and folds up for easy storage when not in use.
The locking arms are not padded and they don’t move very much, so if you have a thick frame on the parts of your bike that cover the battery, this could potentially scratch up your ride with just one bump in transit.
And while support is nice enough when it’s working correctly (though slow), we can’t help but feel like we got left hanging.
- Holds two bikes each weighing 65lbs (130 lbs max load
- Easy Tilt Down & Fold Up
- three locking mechanisms to keep your bikes extra secure
- Has built-in security features that lock the rack to your car and lock the bikes to the rack.
- Fat tires, no problem
- support could be more responsive
- Locking arms not padded could scratch your bike if you have a thick frame covering the battery
BV 2-Bike Bicycle Hitch Mount Rack Carrier
Get the perfect ride every time you arrive with your bike carrier rack for a car, truck, or SUV.
This smart tilting design enables you to open the rear gates without detaching the hitch rack and is safer than ever thanks to a rear safety reflector that ensures night driving safety. The padded arms protect your bike from scratches and it comes equipped with a foldable option when not in use!
It will hold up to two bikes under 35 lbs each with a 3″ maximum tire width requirement (so no fat tire bikes). there are no locks because there are none included.
- The tilt backward design enables users to open the rear gates without detaching the hitch rack.
- Users can fold up the rack when not in use
- This rack includes a rear safety reflector to enhance visibility, ensuring night driving safety.
- the padded arms can protect your bike from scratches
- For bikes under 35 lbs each,
- 3″ maximum tire width (Not for fat tire bike)
- there are no locks included
IKURAM 4 Bike Rack 2″ Hitch Mount carrier
Four fresh mountain bikes proudly strapped onto your car is a precious sight to drive home. The IKURAM 4 Bike Rack racks up more than just the right number, it also securely fastens them so they don’t wobble or shake too.
Includes a hitch stabilizer for perfect alignment of nose and tail of the vehicle, as well as hands-free tilt-down operation so you can access your trunk without dismounting any one bike.
Made from powder-coated steel with strong mounting hardware that won’t rust, this rack is durable and easy on the eyes. Comes backed by an IKURAM lifetime warranty
If there are any high-end bicycles among yours, be aware that rubbing and scratches can be an issue since this rack is designed for rugged use; we highly recommend purchasing some soft bike covers or pads before installing this product.
The straps start out very tough but soften up with use, which is great if you’re looking for a product that will last decades or if you plan to leave your bikes strapped in all-day
- This rack carries 4 bikes
- easy-to-use tilt-down feature
- IKURAM Lifetime Warranty
- Includes a free hitch stabilizer, which means very little wiggle.
- straps start out very tough but soften up with the use
- if you have high-end bikes expect rubbing and scratches from the other bikes if you plan to use all four spots
The best bike rack for an SUV will depend on a number of factors including the size and style of your vehicle, how many bikes you need to transport at one time, what safety features are important to you, the warranty offered by the manufacturer as well as any service provided.
You may also want to consider weight maximums if you have E-bikes or whether they will fit with fat tires. We hope our guide has helped make your search easier!
*A note about Fat Tire compatibility: Most bike racks installed on vehicles with a spare tire will not accommodate tires larger than 26-inches. This is due to the location of the spare tire and the distance from the tailgate at which a bike rack must be mounted.